By default, WooCommerce creates a dropdown menu on the product page to showcase all the different variations for that product. In terms of functionality, it works, but in terms of effectiveness, it could have been better. And this is why you need to install a WooCommerce variation swatches plugin.
Drop-down menus are a bit unintuitive to browse, especially if you have a lot of product variations listed. Furthermore, some users even overlook the fact that there’s a drop-down menu, to begin with.
- 1 5 Best Free WooCommerce Variation Swatches Plugins
- 1.1 Variation Swatches for WooCommerce
- 1.2 Woo Variation Swatches for WooCommerce
- 1.3 YITH Color and Label Variation for WooCommerce
- 1.4 RadiusTheme Variation Swatches for WooCommerce
- 1.5 ThemeHigh Variation Swatches for WooCommerce
- 1.6 WooCommerce Extra Product Options
- 1.7 WooSwatches – WooCommerce Color or Image Variation Swatches
- 1.8 Improved Product Options for WooCommerce
- 1.9 The Ultimate Bulk Variations Matrix Plugin – Barn2
- 1.10 WooCommerce Product Variations Swatches
- 2 Wrapping Up
However, the problem can be easily resolved by using swatches that directly showcases all available product variations to the customers. There’s no need to squint your eyes, find a drop-down menu, or even dive through one to find the correct variation you are looking for. With product variation swatches, all options are available and accessible right in front of your eyes.
Here’s an example.
Let’s say you are selling a watch, and you have multiple color variations for that watch in stock. Well, instead of hiding all the variations behind a drop-down menu, you can simply showcase all the options by having color swatches on the main product page. Here’s an image to showcase how it will look:
As you can see, not only does this let your customers know all the different variations right out of the gate, but it also makes the entire shopping experience much more straightforward and convenient.
“So which plugin do I use to enable variation swatches on my WooCommerce website?” – Well, we have got you covered!
For this read, we have put together a comprehensive list going over the 10 best WooCommerce Variation Swatches plugins. And don’t worry as we have included both free and premium options, to ensure there’s something for everybody.
So without further ado, let’s get started:
5 Best Free WooCommerce Variation Swatches Plugins
Starting off our list, we have a list of the 5 best WooCommerce variation swatches plugins that are free to use. These are great options if you are just starting, and don’t want to invest upfront without testing if the plugin works for you.
Some of the plugins here also follow a freemium model. This means that you have a free plugin with basic features designed to help you get started. And once your WooCommerce store grows, you can scale to its premium version with access to more advanced features.
Variation Swatches for WooCommerce
Next, we have another popular variation swatches plugin from ThemeAlien. Unlike our previous entry, this one doesn’t offer too many features apart from the basics. This actually makes it a great option for beginners who want something that just works, and don’t want to get overwhelmed with too many options.
Once installed, the plugin lets you set a style for each attribute variation as color, image, or label. You can use this to showcase different product colors, sizes, and styles with simple and intuitive swatches.
It is also worth noting that the plugin adds additional swatches on the product page to showcase product variation. It does not touch the default drop-down menu that comes with WooCommerce. As such, you will need to disable it manually.
Other than this, the plugin comes with a really intuitive and easy-to-use backend for managing the variation swatches. You can also set a default color, image, and label for each attribute.
- Adds variation swatches on product pages. Won’t remove the default drop-down product variation menu that comes with WooCommerce.
- Create and add new product variation attributes from the product editing page.
- Lets you set and style color, image, and label swatches for each attribute variation.
- Easy to use backend options interface.
- Option to manage your attributes globally.
- Works on variable products only. Will not remove the default drop-down product variations menu.
Prices: Free. Install from the WordPress backend dashboard.
Woo Variation Swatches for WooCommerce
Variation Swatches for WooCommerce is the most popular plugin in this category with over 200,000 active installations. Once installed, the plugin transforms the product variation selection options into radio images, colors, or labels. This makes the shopping experience much more visually appealing, intuitive, and professional.
Now, the plugin follows a freemium model, meaning you have a free and premium version. However, the free version is jam-packed with tons of amazing features and should be more than enough for most users.
The plugin lets you set up the size, brand, image, color, and label variation swatches for free. You have the option to change the swatch style between “circle” and “square”. There’s even an option to enable/disable beautiful tooltips when hovering over the variation swatches.
Here’s a more in-depth look at the free and premium features offered by the plugin.
- Auto-converts all variation dropdowns to button swatches after installation.
- Supports color, image, label, text, or button swatches for product variables.
- Switch between circle or square swatches depending on your requirement.
- Option to hide, add a cross-sign, or blur swatches for out-of-stock products variations.
- Compatible with all popular WooCommerce themes.
- Add dual-color swatches to represent a product variation. [PRO]
- Convert attribute variation into radio buttons. [PRO]
- Customization options for the swatches. [PRO]
The base plugin is free to use and you can download and install it from your WordPress backend dashboard.
The premium version is available at getwooplugins. Prices start at $49/year for a single site license and go up to $299/year for unlimited site support. There’s even the option for Lifetime licenses starting at $149 for a single website.
YITH Color and Label Variation for WooCommerce
YITH is a well-known name in the world of WooCommerce themes and plugins. And here we have their variation swatches plugin – Color and Label Variation for WooCommerce.
The plugin follows a freemium model with a free base plugin and a premium version with more advanced features. That being said, the free plugin is very basic and only lets you set up color, label, and image type attribute variations. All the other advanced customization features are tucked away in the premium version.
However, it’s still a great option if you look for something simple and easy to get started with. Furthermore, if you already own other YITH plugins, getting this plugin makes perfect sense as it ensures seamless integration and compatibility with all the other plugins.
- Create color, label, and image type variation attributes.
- Add a description for each attribute. [PRO]
- Add a tooltip for each attribute. [PRO]
- Add a different image gallery for each product variation. [PRO]
- Change the product image in a dynamic way by hovering a mouse over the related variation. [PRO]
The base plugin is free to use and is available for download and installation via the WordPress backend.
For the premium version, you can visit their official website. A yearly subscription costs $89 for a single site license.
RadiusTheme Variation Swatches for WooCommerce
Here we have another freemium variation swatches plugin for WooCommerce by RadiusTheme. Once installed, the plugin will transform the default dropdown variation picker and allow you to insert image, label, text, button, or color swatches instead.
The free version also lets you customize the swatches. You can choose between what swatch shape you want – circle or square. You can also set a cross-sign or blur effect for out-of-stock product variations, or even hide them altogether. There’s also an option to customize the swatches border, background color, and much more.
The premium version extends on this feature set even further with more swatch options and customization settings. Here’s a quick overview of all the main features the plugin brings to the table.
- Add color, image, label, text, and button swatches for variable product attributes.
- Switch between square or circular swatch shapes.
- Option to hide, blur out, or add a cross sign against out-of-stock product variations.
- Tweak the size, color, background, and border size of the swatches.
- Additional archive, catalog, shop, category, and tag page swatches. [PRO]
- Support for dual-colors on a single swatch. [PRO]
- Catalog mode. [PRO]
- Powerful tooltip and styling settings. [PRO]
The base plugin is free, and available to download and install from the WordPress backend dashboard.
To download the premium version, you will need to head on over to their official website. Pricing starts at $29/year for a single site license or $199/year to support unlimited domains. Lifetime subscription options are also available starting at $149 for a single site license.
ThemeHigh Variation Swatches for WooCommerce
And for the final free plugin on our list, we have Variation Swatches for WooCommerce from ThemeHigh. Like most others, this too is a freemium plugin, but the base free option is packed with tons of awesome bells and whistles.
You get all the basic functionalities including the option to convert the default drop-down variation picker into stylish square or circular swatches, namely color, image, and label. It also allows you to enable a tooltip to display the variation attribute’s name when someone hovers over it.
The premium version builds on top of the feature set. You get an additional radio swatch option, along with powerful customization control over each swatch design. There’s also an option to search for specific swatch design, attribute variation, and much more.
Here’s a quick look at some of the main features the plugin brings to the table.
- Automatically convert the default product variation drop-down into image, color, or label attributes.
- Switch between square or circular swatches.
- Customize swatches by tweaking the icon details, font size, background color, hover behaviour, border details, tooltip details, and much more.
- Hide, blur out, or add a cross on swatches for products that are out of stock.
- Support for custom CSS.
- Add an extra radio button swatch. [PRO]
- Set an image, term, name, or description as a tooltip. [PRO]
- Support for dual-color swatches. [PRO]
- Add a stock-left alert to swatches to direct user attention. [PRO]
- Include swatches on the shop page as well as the product page. [PRO]
The base plugin is free and you can download and install it via the WordPress backend dashboard.
The premium version starts at $39/year for a single site license and goes up to $129/year for a license that covers usage on upto 25 websites. There’s no plan for unlimited site license or lifetime use.
Up next, we will be taking a look at the 4 premium best WooCommerce variations swatches. These are paid plugins, but come with tons of advanced bells and whistles. You will be able to set up fancy variations swatches to improve your site’s UI & UX, entice your customers, and ultimately improve your conversion rates.
Even if you are just starting out, these plugins can really help you quickly scale and grow your WooCommerce business.
WooCommerce Extra Product Options
The WooCommerce Extra Product Options plugin, as the name suggests, adds additional options and features to your WooCommerce products. This includes support for conditional logic, different pricing options, and yes – option to enable variation swatches for your products.
With the plugin installed, you can convert the default WoCommerce variation attribute dropdown menu to radio buttons, image swatches, and so on. You will also get your hands on a bunch of customization settings to help you tweak the look and feel of the variations swatches. And that’s mostly it!
Overall, this is an excellent plugin if you want to improve your WooCommerce store with many more advanced bells and whistles, including displaying variations swatches.
- Converts the default variation attribute dropdown menu into color swatches, radio buttons, image swatches, and so on.
- Tons of customization options to tweak the look and feel of the variations swatches.
- Supports conditional logic, math formulas, form builder, and much more to extend what you can do on your WooCommerce website.
Visit their website to view all features.
Pricing starts at $39 for a single site license with access to all future updates and 6 months of developer support. You can extend that to 12 months for an extra $12.75 add-on.
WooSwatches – WooCommerce Color or Image Variation Swatches
WooSwatches is a popular and powerful premium plugin for setting variation swatches on your WooCommerce website. It comes with tons of options giving your complete control over how you want to display your variable product to your customers.
Apart from the default dropdown select, the plugin enables color, text, and image variation swatches. You can customize the size of the swatches and also change its shape between square and round. It also lets you display the variation swatches on the product page and the category/tag/shop pages.
Another advanced feature the plugin brings to the table is the option to set global values for color and image attributes. You can of course override this while inside the product edit page if you want.
- Add color, text, or image variation swatches for your variable products. The default dropdown variation select option is not disabled.
- Set different sizes for the swatches from small, medium, and large.
- Change the swatches shape between square and round.
- Set global color or image values for attributes.
- Built in color and image product filter.
- Display option name below each swatch.
- Show swatches on product/shop/category/tag pages.
WooSwatches will cost you $29 for a single site license with access to all future updates. However, technical support is only valid up to 6 months, but you can extend that with a $9 add-on.
Improved Product Options for WooCommerce
Improved Product Options for WooCommerce is a powerful plugin that gives you tons of awesome features to control the various product options, including the ability to set variation swatches.
The plugin lets you use styles, color, and size as different product options to get you started. However, on top of that, you can set custom fields, checkboxes, textareas, and select options to show product variations.
You can also show-case add-ons as product options, and charge extra from customers for selecting the add-on. The product options can be set globally, or for specific categories, or individually on a per product basis.
- Add custom product options to show variable products. Supports styles, color, size, custom fields, textareas, and checkboxes.
- Works with simple products as well as variable products.
- Allows you to add ‘product option select’ to almost any page using shortcodes.
- Tons of styling options for the product attribute selector.
- Show/hide out of stock product variations.
- Option to sell add-ons as product options.
- Set potentially unlimited product add-on options.
- Option to set global product options, or for a specific category of products.
The plugin is available for just $24 for a single site license. You get access to a lifetime of updates, but developer support is only limited to 6 months. To extend support to 12 months, you can get a $7 add-on.
The Ultimate Bulk Variations Matrix Plugin – Barn2
If you are looking for a variation swatches plugin for your wholesale WooCommerce website, then The Ultimate Bulk Variation Matrix plugin by Barn2 is for you. The plugin lets you set up a price matrix for all your wholesale products.
You will be able to display all your product attributes, options, and available stock information along with its pricing in a neat and easy to digest table. Customers can just directly enter the number of quantities they wish to purchase, and quickly complete the transaction with a press of a button.
Other than this, the plugin also lets you set up an order form instead of a price matrix. Here, you can list all product variations with quantity boxes or in a price only mode. This is an excellent option to give your wholesale buyers an easy way to get an idea about the pricing structure for your products.
- Allows you to display product variations and pricing information in two modes – Price Matrix and Order Form.
- The Price Matrix displays all product attributes, options, stock information, and pricing, in a convenient table. This allows customers to quickly purchase multiple variations of a product.
- The Order Form lists product variations with quantity boxes or in price-only mode.
- The plugin is mostly ideal for products that have 2 or 3 variation attributes.
- Allows you to enable the product matrix globally. Whereas for specific products, you can use shortcodes as well.
- Option to display both images and lightboxes in the bulk variation grid.
This one is a bit expensive starting out at $79/year for a single site license. And in case you don’t like being tied down to a yearly subscription, you can get their lifetime plan starting at $249 for a single website.
Also, there’s no available license to use the plugin on unlimited websites. The maximum you can get is support for upto 20 sites for a yearly subscription of $249 or a lifetime subscription of $799.
WooCommerce Product Variations Swatches
And last but not least, we have the WooCommerce Product Variations Swatches plugin. It allows you to showcase your different product variations using different attributes like color, buttons, images, variation images, and radio buttons. Do note that it will replace the default dropdown menu with these variation swatches.
You will get access to a convenient global attributes settings panel from where you can set search attributes, display styles, display type, swatches profile, as well as the option to show/hide global attributes on the product list. You can also customize each attribute term of an existing global attribute.
Other than this, the plugin also gives you additional options to show/hide along with the product variations. For example, you can configure the Add-to-Cart button to show up after a customer selects a product variation. Likewise, you can also show the attribute name upon selection, as well as a text tooltip, and much more.
- Changes the default variation dropdown into variation swatches.
- Displays variation select options for products under colors, buttons, images, variation images, and radio buttons.
- Allows you to set up unlimited swatch styles and swatch profiles with customizable swatch designs and styles.
- Option to set global attributes as well as custom attributes for variation products.
- Display the variations swatches anywhere on your website – shop page, product page, as widgets, or using shortcodes.
- Include “add to cart” button, attribute name, and text tooltip when selecting a variation swatch.
The plugin is priced at $22 for a single site license. With it, you get access to all future updates but support is only limited to 5 months. You can extend the support upto 12 months with a $12 add-on.
So this was our list of the 10 best WooCommerce variation swatches plugins. We hope you found this list useful and that it helped you in finding the right WooCommerce plugin for showcasing product variations on your online store.
As you can see, we have included both free and paid options. So no matter what your budget is, you will surely find something that fits your needs and requirements. However, if you still can’t make up your mind on which one to pick, here’s our recommendations.
If you are looking for a strictly free variation swatches plugin, Variation Swatches for WooCommerce is a good choice. However, if you are planning to upgrade to a premium plugin as your business grows, and want a freemium plugin, then both Variation Swatches for WooCommerce and RadiusTheme Variation Swatches plugins are excellent options.
Next, coming to the premium plugins, WooSwatches is one of the best plugins you can get for creating and managing variation swatches. However, if you want the plugin to do much more than just create and manage swatches, then WooCommerce Extra Product Options is also worth considering.
And finally, for wholesalers, if you want to showcase product variations to your B2B customers and offer them a convenient way to purchase product variations in bulk, then The Ultimate Bulk Variations Matrix Plugin by Barn2 is what you want.